Monday, December 27, 2010


TODAY'S UPDATE and THANK YOU LETTER!!
thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
for your generous donation toward the expansion of our Majengo Orphanage...!!!!!
I was blown away!!

Your money will go a long way to helping with the 60 new kids which have been added to our already 28 living in, plus staff! Total 100!
Food, shoes, uniforms, medicine, education, basic needs....!!

This is an emergency....
And a triumph too, that the Government of Tanzania closed down 5 corrupt orphanages on the safari route.
And entrusted those kids to us.
Preparations:
We opened and renovated two new houses next to our main facility, in October.
WE built 17 bunk beds per house, with new sheets, blankets, mosquito nets and mattresses.
WE have 25 kids per house...with a mama matron in each.
With one outdoor kitchen, 4 cooks, creating 300 meals a day.
4 cleaners, to wash sheets, clothing, houses and kids.
2 teachers with 43 preschoolers.
A secretary and treasurer who pull it all together, pitch in and do everything.
2 security guards.

This has become a massive undertaking, and scares me to death!

UP UNTIL NOW:
a bit of background....

In 2007-8, I raised $25,000 to renovate and furnish our original Majengo facility, thanks to the 250 people who helped out!

So engrossed to get Magengo up and running, I wasn’t thinking, staff, food, education, medicine, upkeep! Operating costs!
Matt McKissock of Warren, Pennsylvania called to rent our cottage that summer three days before I was leaving for Africa.
He was fascinated. What are you doing? How many kids? Tell me more!!
With the cottage contract, I sent pictures of the children we hoped to help.
He fired back a cheque for $500.
Over that weekend, he became obsessed. He couldn’t get those kids out of his mind.
On Monday, he called three times: what were the operating costs??
I had no idea.
We didn’t know how many kids, how much staff, cost of food, uniforms, shoes...I would know when I got over there.
He kept calling. Tuesday, Wednesday. Could I come down to Pennsylvania. No.

Who was this guy?

Finally. I told him, if you are so interested in Africa....why don’t you come and see for yourself!!! Right!

I left for Tanzania that Wednesday night.

One month later, he arrived with two friends, for one week, with 8 duffle bags stuffed with everything we asked for: computers, clothes,shoes,school materials.
He met the kids, played, sang, and did juggling tricks, met the staff, village leaders, my ICA local organizers....and made a movie.
He went home and made a commitment.
To raise funds with family and friends, to pay for our operating costs!! And these wonderful people were committed to supporting us fully, not just now, but for the years to come. With the intention of supporting all these kids all the way through, secondary school, high school, even university. To really make a difference, to change the lives radically of hundreds of children. Who now have a chance.

It was a miracle.

When I got that email, I bawled my eyes out!
$41,000 a year! 28 kids living in; 25 living out but coming to our pre school with breakfast, lunch and dinner. At that time 10 staff.


WE demand four things from our staff: to love the children, 100% honesty, competence and hard working. We pay them well, and support their own children’s education.
Up until now things have been running smoothly.

But with 60 new kids!!
It is a HUGE DEAL, that the government has closed down corruption and entrusted us with those children.
But our budget will double this year.

I have promised Matt that I will help...
I am in the process of applying for Charitable Registration. So that soon I hope to be able to offer tax receipts. But until then, I can not.

TEAM MAGENGO:
Majengo is a hands on operation in Tanzania...There are no ‘middle men’.
Every cent we raise here goes straight to the children..
I am putting together a group of people here in Canada who would like to get more intimately involved: to get the word out, to help with fundraising, to help organize speaking engagements, to involve their families and friends. WE need all the help we can get!! Please call me if you are interested! It is the most important and worthwhile work I have ever been lucky enough to be part of.

I wish you all the very best in the new year...and again, thank you so much for helping to change the lives of these 88 little people...truly...I wish you could come over to visit yourself!
And if you can...please call me!!

XxxLynn
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO DONATE, in CANADA: cheques payable to
Lynn Connell
284 Major St. Toronto. Ont. M5S 2L6, Canada.

In USA where you will get a tax receipt!cheques payable to
Majengo Foundation
218 Liberty St., Warren, Pennsylvania. USA 16365

BLOG: I am in touch with Majengo every week...and post updates on my blog....
lynnconnell.blogspot.com.

No comments: